History of Kiwanis Day Care:
Kiwanis Day Care Center has been operating in the Huntington area since 1930. The Kiwanis Day Care Center is located at 71 Washington Avenue in Huntington. Founded in 1930 as the Kiwanis Day Nursery, the center has grown from a small facility in a donated residence to a modern facility with eight classrooms, kitchen, conference room and offices. The day care been recognized as the oldest continuously operating daycare in the State of West Virginia. Kiwanis Day Care Center is governed by the Kiwanis Club of Huntington; a Community Partner with The United Way of the River Cities; a collaborate with the Cabell County Board of Education in providing a 4 Year Old Pre-K Program; and licensed by the West Virginia Department of Health & Human Resources. All classrooms provide an educationally based formal curriculum which is also used by the Cabell County Board of Education. Breakfast, lunch, and snack approved by the Office of Child Nutrition are served daily to all children in attendance. Additionally, the program provides outdoor play to all children daily on two playgrounds separated for children under two and over two years of age. The Kiwanis Day Care Center is the oldest continuous service project in the world as recognized by Kiwanis Clubs International. The Kiwanis Club of Huntington has received many awards over the years for their efforts with this project.
Brenda Sutphin was named Director of the KDCC in February 2014, as just the 6th director in 84 years. She has her Bachelor’s Degree in Social Work from Marshall University, a Master of Arts in Sociology from Marshall University and currently working on her Master’s in Preschool Special Education Degree. She has over ten years experience in child care.
All staff are provided 18 hours of training per year in core competencies of child development and are certified in CPR/First Aid Training and Medication Administration. Kiwanis Day Care is committed to employing qualified staff to serve enrolled children. All full-time staff are credentialed with Master’s, Bachelor’s, or Associate Degrees in Early Childhood Education (ECE) or are currently working toward attainment of those educational certifications. All part-time substitute staff are registered college students majoring in ECE or related fields.
In 1930 the Center served 56 children in 6 classrooms. Today the Center serves 98 children in 8 classrooms while employing 25 staff members.